Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Decisions,

I just read another blog from a teacher heading over to Abu Dhabi the same time I am.  Same thoughts, same feelings.

http://audrarayeabroad.wordpress.com

Since school let out last week, I have been through a continual whirlwind of emotions, decisions, doubts.  Making decisions daily about the 30 plus years of pure "stuff" to go through and decide what to do with.  When I moved to NC from NY, I had two children to do this with, but it was easier, because I knew we were taking some of our belongings with us. I can't afford to ship personal belongings, so we need to get rid of them.  Each items brings memories and doubts.

Recently, the hardest decision is Jackson, our dog.  My step daughter can not take him, as we planned.  We don't know where we will be placed in Abu Dhabi so do not know if taking him with us is even possible.  Chuck (the hubby) is not handling this situation well. And mornings, when he curls up on my lap and sleeps, like today, make it hard for me, also.  Thankfully, my son Chad and his wife, Sarah, are taking my cat. I have had Wendell for 8 years, and love that fat snobby cat.

Worries about medical treatment for Chuck have also surfaced as I read about the difficulty getting pain medicine and anti-depressants in the UAE.  Both of these he needs since his stroke.  It scares me.

On the other hand, the excitement of this adventure grows.  Chuck is afraid I will be disappointed if I keep getting my expectation set so high.  I have had the opportunity to join Facebook groups that allow me to ask other EMT (English Medium Teachers), who are already in the UAE, questions that I have.  I have also joined groups of teachers who are heading over there the same time I am.  Its exciting to meet new people, even if it is only online.

In the meantime, I have to work on getting things out of this house, plan on what I am taking with me, and take care of all the loose ends so I will be prepared when the ticket comes.  I will have anywhere between 24 hour to 7 days to be on the plane to leave.  Scary!!!

But I have always loved Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment